Thursday, 13 June 2013

A Tale of Tuning-In

The radio of my Jeep hasn't worked for over a year now.

One day, after an errands run the music that had carried me into town deflated from the speakers like a balloon. So, like any caring car owner, I figured the Jeep may just be going through "a phase" and didn't get too upset. And what did I get for my compassionate nature? The silence treatment.

For a year.

When I decided to get a new car deck for the Jeep I went to the store and found that my original budget was going to double. The cheaper model I wanted was not in-stock, and they could do (and advised to do) installation which I signed up for but came with a fee. I was still determinedly decided to get the radio fixed but needed to shuffle around some funds and put the deck on hold. Leaving the store I returned to the Jeep and instead hearing the engine come to life I was first met by a crisp, clear country song wafting through the speakers.

Music to my ears!

I am not techie enough to say why the radio started working (or maybe it was more a psychological thing which would have required a psy car itrist) but I have a functioning radio so no questions asked. A year of involuntary silence meant that I had to go "sound searching" for something to fill the void. I revisited CD's (since the player still worked) and discovered a bevvy of artists that I was never aware of. So now, after a year of musical experimentation, my radio has twice the workout; I now venture beyond my original selective stations and am sampling the whole musical spectrum.

Which brings me to my final point: Dairy Month. Having a month dedicated to dairy gives us the opportunity to "tune in" as it were. A local paper had a five page special on agriculture and farming in the community which I read and learnt a few things. Here are a few, fast facts:
  • 95% of all farms in Canada are family owned (including ours!)
  • The only thing added to your milk is Vitamin A and D
  • The average weight of one cow is equal to eight men
I am not insisting you memorise the above, but if you do, there is a theory that music can help some people to better remember (and we know it helps cows milk) so I would like to present one of the hottest bands around. Their song "I'm Farming and I Grow It" has gone off the pop charts and practically jumped over the moon.

So go ahead, and tune into Dairy Month.




Missed last week's moooosical byte? Check out music sensation Little Fred with "Farm it Maybe."