Oven-Baked Mac and Cheese with Belgian Endive, Smoked Cheddar and Bacon.
After touring Van Eekelen's endive facility and fields (read up about that here) we were given two endives, with a salad recipe on the back of the package.
I was feeling for something a little more hearty (and comfort food inspired) so visited Endive.ca and discovered this Oven-Baked Mac and Cheese with Belgian Endive, Smoked Cheddar and Bacon...which is a long name so feel free to simply call it Delicious.
- BC Belgian Endive (2-3 heads, diced)
- Onions (two, diced).
- Macaroni Noodles, uncooked, (1 bag)
- Cheddar Cheese, grated (2 cups)
- Cream Cheese (2 cups)
- Whole Milk (2 cups)
- Dijon Mustard (2 tbsp.)
- Garlic, diced (2 cloves)
- Thick-cut bacon (eight slices)
- Canola Oil (1 tsp.)
- Butter (1 tsp.)
- Seasoning (salt and pepper).
Preheat: 400'F Preparation: 30 mins. Bake: 20 mins.
- Fill a medium sized pot with water, add dash of salt, canola oil and turn to high heat. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook until tender but keep in mind it will also be baking in the oven.
- Add butter to a medium sized pot on medium heat. Add bacon, onions then garlic, sauté until onions are clear.
- Add milk and cream cheese. Whisk together and allow to simmer (not boil). Add cheddar and mustard. Mix together once more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and chopped endive. Mix until evenly coated.
- Put all ingredients into lightly buttered casserole dish, bake until bubbly for approximately twenty minutes, stir occasionally.