Sunday, 21 April 2013

Feeling Insecure

 How many locks does it take for something to be secure?
 
 
One?

 
Two?
 
 
 
Three?
 
Maybe more?
 
Last night my email, and I'm sure not mine alone, was hacked and I was pretty darn surprised. The statistics may have not been in my favour (I had the same password for a consistent three years, not a new one every three months as "they" advise). Also, Hacker was a lot better getting into my email than I was and Hacker doesn't even know me. Ouch.
 
I had a full page questionnaire to fill out to prove that it was me trying to log-in...not the Hacker who was already logged in creating havoc:
 
Security question: Favourite teacher?
 
Ummm wasn't I like three when I opened this account? I only knew my parents.
 
Birth date?
 
I definitely lied there because at the time I figured that was pretty personal and not for any Internet company to just know---which sort of screwed me in the long run because after submitting my half blank, half guessed questionnaire I was informed that they could not verify that is was me, but they could verify that it wasn't me clicking around my email so I am not allowed in until I can prove that me is me.
 
How are my odds looking?
 
All that could be done, as far as I could see, was open a new account with another carrier and send emails warning "old" contacts that any emails sent from my previous email were not being sent by me. My new password is the strongest of the strong, and this time around I was truthful about my birth date. Should someone ever break in I have a fighting chance. But in all honesty should a new Hacker come clicking by and crack or bypass all my safety barriers I am back to square one. I am beginning to think that if someone really wanted in, whether it be my email or our locked on-farm fuel tank, they can and there isn't much I can do about it.
 
I remember when we travelled to the beautiful Canadian East Coast and seeing cars unlocked in small towns. A friend of ours from a rural, prairie town was surprised at all the locking and securing that went on around the farm. Back home no one locks anything, not their cars, fuel tanks, shops, or house. What if someone takes their car? Their vehicle is usually returned within a few hours, they just needed a convenient lift to the store and if it isn't there is only a handful of locals to hold responsible.
 
Even our tractors have always, as long as I've been around, had door locks.
 
We claim to be living in a securer world so why this heightened level of protection? Because people are collectively divulging more information about themselves: birth dates, pictures, blogging about their (my) life. It is out there, it is open, and should someone take something without returning it I am not simply sleuthing around my neighbourhood to find the perpetrator. After all, it is called the world-wide-web for a reason.